Thursday, July 2, 2015

The One With Chemotherapy

1 down! Yesterday I had my first treatment of chemotherapy. Overall, it hasn't been that bad. I haven't been nauseous, but I have been pretty tired.

There was only one scary moment during chemo, but it was fixed right away. They were going to give me an anti-nausea drug called Emend, but I had bad reaction to it. My chest tightened up and for a few minutes it was really hard to breathe. Thankfully my nurses and my oncologist were very close by and with the help of Benadryl, I was just fine. And I was assured that I was never going to get that drug again; they had several anti-nausea drugs to pick from.


After that, the Benadryl made me pretty sleepy. I was awake for the first infusion of chemo, but slept through the next two. My last drug took only 5 minutes to get injected, and then we were free to go. I was a little shaky on my feet, but I made it to the car and slept on the way home. We got home around 3:00, and I went straight to bed. Dad woke me up around 6:30 to eat some chicken soup (it's very important to eat and drink after chemo), but I could only a few bites before almost falling back asleep. Then I fell back asleep until this morning (minus one bathroom break around 2:30).

I haven't gotten sick, and I really don't feel that nauseous, which is fantastic. I am tired, but doing little spurts of yoga and grazing instead of eating big meals seems to help. I've watched two movies (Philomena and The Butler) and started a knitting project. I also don't seem to have "chemo brain" yet. I would say I'm pretty lucky.

Thank you to everyone who has left comments, sent cards, or kept me in their prayers. As always, they mean so much. And thanks for liking the new haircut pictures on the Facebook page! I'm excited to see which one wins the page's profile picture. I don't think I'm ever going to go back to long hair after this :)

Current symptoms, side effects, and complaints: only a little tired

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Maggie! I'm grateful that you have been sharing your journey. I appreciate your positive attitude but was impressed with your honesty in sharing the emotional rollercoaster! You are remembered in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of your diagnosis, Maggie. I am not at all surprised at your positive attitude and spirit towards your ordeal--just as I remember you . If you can handle swim practices for four years, you can beat this! Sending you lots of positive thoughts and keeping you in my prayers. Take care and God bless. Jay Grosshuesch

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading them. A lot of people have had trouble posting however...if this is the case you can leave your message in a comment on Facebook or email it to me! Be sure to ctrl + c; before you publish just in case something goes awry - that way you still have your message.