Monday, June 15, 2015

The One on the Day Before the PET Scan

Thank you for all the support I've received over these past several hours! I'm so blessed to have so many people praying for me and thinking of me.

Tomorrow afternoon I go in for my very first PET scan. For those who watched The Fault in Our Stars, you might have a general idea of what this is:



So in a PET scan, they inject a sugary glucose into you and make you lie on your back for 1.25 hours in a quiet room without music, audiobooks, TV, or even a person to talk to. After the injection has traveled all over, an imaging machine will scan for anywhere that the glucose "lights up". These spots indicate tumors and cancer - because tumors are the "greediest cell masses in the body and want all the sugar" (in the words of my ENT). This'll help stage the cancer, 1, 2, 3, or 4, which will help in deciding treatments. Currently, I'm expecting to light up on the right side of my neck and in my chest.

Unfortunately for me, a PET scan also means that for a full 24 hours before I cannot eat any carbs or sugar, which, it turns out, are in everything! This would have been ok, I'll just eat meat and cheese all day, I thought. It'll be fine. Little did I know that over the weekend Hope House received donations of an apple pie, cake pops, potato chips, corn, potatoes, and cookies as far as the eye can see. And suddenly cheese and tuna salad (without bread) is way less appealing. Thank you to my mom for making my lunch more than just a brick of bacon cheddar cheese :)

Note to future me or anyone else preparing for a PET scan: make sure favorite cheeses are stocked in the fridge two days before the PET scan. Have a firm plan of what you're going to eat so you don't just stand in front of the pantry thinking "there is absolutely nothing here." Make your favorite (PET-approved) vegetables into cute shapes. And then also have a completely fabulous meal planned for after the PET scan (go in the morning so you can eat a carb and sugar filled lunch). Right now I'm planning on Culvers :)

Current symptoms, side effects, and complaints: I WANT TO EAT ALL THE FOODS I CAN'T HAVE.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Maggie,
    I wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and praying for you:) Also not sure if I've told you or not but I decided on St. Norbert's for sure. So I'll see you this fall and I have orientation this Thursday/Friday!
    Sincerely,
    Julia Novotny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And I heard you're in the honor's program :) Bergstrom was such a great place to live. I was room 305, right next to the RA. Hope you get third floor because Hannah is the best (and she'll be the RA again for your class).

      Delete
  2. Thinking and praying for you, Maggie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maggie. All of us at camp Franciscan are remembering you. Know of my care and deep concern. I did not think you looked well at the Hope house the other day now I know why. You are are a special young woman very dear to us and our God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monster cookies ... unfortunately, they have carbs ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sister Jan VillemureJuly 1, 2015 at 9:29 AM

    Maggie,
    I am on retreat at the Motherhouse and praying for you in this treatment time.
    I can see you up on the altar serving Mass at camp.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave comments! I love reading them. A lot of people have had trouble posting however...if this is the case you can leave your message in a comment on Facebook or email it to me! Be sure to ctrl + c; before you publish just in case something goes awry - that way you still have your message.